Dear St. Jane Frances de Chantal School Community,
I hope you are having a blessed Martin Luther King Jr. weekend. This week, the students learned a song called “We Shall Overcome” during music class. It was one of the major anthems sung during the Civil Rights Movement. How beautiful it was to hear it sung during Friday’s all school mass! It is a reminder to us that we need to continue to pray for people all over the world that face injustice. Let us pray for peace in our world.
This week we will be starting art class with Mr. Ramirez, our new art teacher. He earned a BA of Fine Arts from USC, with an emphasis in photography, ceramics, sculpture, and design. Along with extensive experience in art galleries and in schools, Mr. Ramirez will do a fine job teaching Kindergarten-8th grade art. After School Art and a new Yearbook Club will be starting shortly. Let’s welcome Mr. Ramirez to our school community!
Looking ahead, here is what is coming up:
• VIRTUS Training – In order to volunteer with children present, parents must complete VIRTUS training. For those who have completed it in the past, it expires after 4 years. Before it expires, the VIRTUS Recertification training needs to be completed to volunteer again. (VIRTUS is not needed for working on Carnival weekend.) VIRTUS training is 2/1 & Recertification Training is 1/18.
• PTO Meeting – The 1st PTO meeting of the year is on January 23 at 6 PM in DeChantal Hall. Each family earns 1 service hour by attending that night. Please bring your service hour sheet with you.
• Carnival – Our school carnival is 4/13-15. In order to have a successful event, there are carnival service hours per family. To complete it, there are pre-carnival tickets ($65 worth), carnival food gift card ($50 in Costco/Smart & Final gift cards or cash), & 4 volunteer hours. Carnival sign-ups will be available 1/30-3/30 before and after school. Thank you for your support!
• Facebook – We have a new school Facebook site! Come and like our site: https://www.facebook.com/SJFNoHo/
Saints of the Week/Feast Days:
• 1/14 - Saint Gregory Nazianzen
• 1/15 - Saint Paul the Hermit
• 1/16 - Saint Berard & Companions
• 1/17 – Saint Anthony of Egypt
• 1/18 - Saint Charles of Sezze
• 1/19 - Saint Fabian
• 1/20 - Saint Sebastian
(If you click the calendar link, there are biographies of each saint/feast day: https://www.franciscanmedia.org/sod-calendar/ )
• 1/15 – Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Holiday – No School)
• 1/18 – VIRTUS Recertification in DeChantal Hall @ 7-8:30 PM
• 1/19 – Student of the Month @ 8:45 AM
• 1/23 – PTO Meeting in DeChantal Hall @ 6 PM Receive 1 family service hour!
• 1/28-2/2 – Catholic Schools’ Week
• 1/28 – Family Mass @ 9 AM; Open House @10:30 AM-12 PM
• 2/1 – VIRTUS Training
• 2/5-9 – STAR Testing
• 2/6-12 – WASC Accreditation Visit
• 2/9 – No School (Teacher Professional Development)
Mrs. Bev Reyes